03 November 2007

way down memory lane

This morning we picked up an eggnog latte (first of the season!), Katie, Daniel, & Johanna (oh the blessings of the super-uncool, yet extremely practical minivan) and headed for Hammond (east of Astoria) to attend a retirement party open house for one of my mom's very closest friends, Patty Davis (who was also someone instrumental in helping my mom learn and grow when she first became a Christian). She has been the Sheriff Deputy in Clatsop County for years, sharing Jesus' love with everyone she can and it has been WAY too long since we've seen her. Katie & I found out Patty's daughter (our former babysitter, who we loved) was throwing her a party and we didn't want to miss it (bonus: roads trips with Katie, Daniel, & Johanna are always fun). :)

Before today, Patty had never met our kids and we knew our mom would be there if she could. It turned out to be a great bash and it was fun to catch up with old friends (all of whom we basically hadn't seen since high school). People I didn't even know were still around (and by around I mean ALIVE) showed up! For instance, my piano teacher from grade school - Winnie Ledford. Hasn't changed a bit. Actually it looked like no one had aged since we'd seen them 10-15 or more years ago. Kinda twilight zone to be honest. We are so glad we went to support/visit Patty and she and Zach were happy to meet our kids. :)

Patty & Zach.
One more from the trip down. Cade LOVES Uncle Daniel and was thrilled to get to sit by him in the back. Daniel is so patient with him, playing games Cade makes up and answering/asking LOTS of questions. :) The other day, Cade actually told me, "I'm really into anything with batman, candy, pirates, toys, Uncle Daniel..."
Cade and Kevin splitting a celebratory piece of cake.
Johanna and Callum had fun making faces in the mirror on the floor in the library. I spied on them for a while before they noticed me and they were being so adorable - I had to take a couple pics.

Visiting with Zach.

We thought today's trip would also be a great opportunity to visit our grandparents and dad (west of Astoria), so as the kids lost their will to behave, we quickly loaded everyone up and took off for "the farm." It was amazing to drive through Astoria (we usually come from the other direction and don't make it all the way to actual Astoria) - SO many memories, the whole time I was feeling quite grandmotherly as I commented on many childhood "landmarks," (at least they were to me and my sister. It was lots of: "I remember when we would go there to Shakey's Pizza - what? Oh now it's Mexican food." And, "Look, Katie! Paramount Drug is still here! We used to get Hello Kitty lipgloss and pencils there. Oh pull over - pull over! I want to see inside (we didn't)." Even so, it was strangely comforting just to see it was still in business. Anyway, long story somewhat shorter, it was a trip to see downtown and think back on fond memories.

We had a wonderful visit with my grandparents, Grandmamer fed us her famous Lutheran Stew, Cade had his first boat ride with my dad, Grandpa Chuck (complete with his first 'peeing off the edge of the boat' - apparently it's a rite of passage or something - classy bunch... ;) and got to "drive" a tractor. We all had a great time and even though spending 5-6 hours in the car with three kids, 3 years old and under isn't our ideal picture of a sunny Saturday, it was WELL worth it...and it really wasn't that bad. And Kevin drove the whole way! Without a complaint. Amazing! I would've whinned for sure. Plus he remained lovingly calm while I navigated us into 3 u-turns on the way to the party (friggin' yahoo maps...well, and I wasn't paying as close of attention as I should have, but like I said, road trips with K & D are fun). So obviously I will forgive him for not stopping at Paramount Drug. ;)
As you can see, it was low water, so not the best timing, but they were able to run around a bit. Cade loved it and my dad was happy he got to keep the promise of a boat ride he made to Cade during our last visit. I'm hoping by his next boat ride he'll have had some swimming lessons. I know he's fine with a life jacket, (and thankfully Kevin wore one to encourage Cade) but I'll have more peace of mind when I know he can swim.


















***Warning: some of this video is shaky (I was holding Callum with one arm as I took it) but it is still worth posting. :)

Daniel & JoJo.
Katie & Johanna with Grandpa Chuck. That's my grandparents house in the background. Many memories of fun holidays and childhood. We lived 'next door' (there was nothing in between our two farms, but several acres) until 5th grade. Both houses, plus a couple more (where my great-grandparents lived until they passed away and a few house boats docked along the shore are the only inhabitants of the 200 acre (? I think) island in the Columbia River. It was fun growing up on a farm where we had goats, chickens, cattle, ducks, dogs, cats, & pet rabbits. Now that I'm a suburbanite I can appreciate it even more.
I love this one.
Callum & Cade.

Callum was so loving as usual. He gave his Great-Grandma several big hugs.

Enjoy your extra hour of sleep tonight! (Unless you have young children..they will be up at 5am). :)

1 comment:

Julie said...

This was a trip down memory lane for me, too!