20 July 2007

Tilikum: A Little Piece of Heaven

*Update: Okay, I had to steal a pic from Sarri's blog! She had one of both of us back in our Tilikum days so I posted it next to the recent one of us.

This week, our friend Maddy went to Camp Tilikum for her first week of day camp! Sarri (her mama) and I (aka: Fletcher and Sunshine) met there "a few" years ago while we were both spending the summer as staff people, having a blast, and she's been one of my dearest friends ever since. Actually, Joel and Sarri are both some of our very favorite people & it seems there is never enough time with them - Sarri and I always have a great time sharing ideas on everything and laughing.

Now and then! This was taken in the Summer of '99. Such good times. The Tilikum people (mentors, fellow summer staff, even ground keepers) taught me so much and I consider each to be major contributors to my spiritual formation & personal growth, as well as being a place of healing and peace. I spent 3 summers there and it is truly hard to put into words the feelings of love and gratitude I have regarding Tilikum. God is just so amazing and He did many works in me through my time there. What a gift ~ I'm blessed.

(Okay, back to our evening...) Kevin and Joel have been good friends since college (they were roommates). I lived with them for a couple months before I married Kev, Maddy was my little buddy during her first year (I got to be her proud babysitter) and I've always just adored her. Plus Joel, Sarri, and Maddy were all in our wedding & I have Sarri to thank for my love of the Indigo Girls. ;) We just love that sweet family! Now it is really fun to see Cade & Garrett, and Callum & Carter becoming fast friends as well. Needless to say, this week was VERY fun and meaningful to both of us. So of course, last night, we all had to pack a picnic dinner and head to Tilikum for Family Night!



It was just precious to watch Cade, Garrett, and especially Maddy dancing and jumping around to the music in the Fawver Center during the 8pm program. We visited the waterfront and the barn first thing when we arrived at Tilikum. The kids loved feeding the calf hay and petting the bunnies, as well as watching the families riding in canoes on the lake (we'll have to go back and do that sometime). After we met up with the Gibson's and ate dinner, we all went to the Tree House, which has been updated since we'd been there. Cade, Maddy, Sarri, and I all ventured across the rope bridge (which is higher than I remembered). By the way, Maddy, in case you didn't find out today, "Suds'" real name is Lisa. :)

At the Tree House

Cade crossing the rope bridge.
Miss Maddy on the rope bridge.
Even admist all the running, yelling, and excitement of being at camp and with our friends (I'm talking about the kids...mostly), I had to briefly choke back a lump in my throat a couple of times, but then again, I wouldn't be me and Tilikum wouldn't be Tilikum if that didn't happen! I feel like there are SO many pics I could have posted. I've narrowed it to these.

Sweet Carter making friends by sharing his pretzels with Callum (how did he know food is the way to Callum's heart)?




We didn't end up leaving until almost 9pm, but the boys did great - it was totally worth sacrificing an early bedtime for a memorable night at Tilikum with the Gibsons.

2 comments:

Sarri said...

Ok, totally make me cry! :) M is in the shower- we just got home from 'shirt signing,' but I will let her read it when she comes downstairs! Isn't it cool when life comes full circle? Let's do another family night this summer!

Love it!

Christy. said...

Hi,
I got to your blog through a friend of a friend. :0)
I loved your blog about Tilikum. I also grew up going to Tilikum and my oldest daughter is going in a few weeks. I am even more excited after seeing your pictures! I can't wait for her family night.