23 January 2008

Angels watching over my baby boy

Last night we went over to some friends' for a playdate. Just as we were getting ready to eat some dinner, Callum discovered the door leading to the basement and proceeded to tumble down the entire hardwood stairway, landing painfully on the bare, concrete floor. He was obviously pretty banged up, with blood coming from his nose and mouth (his lip was badly split, but I didn't know where it all was coming from at the time). We decided to quickly call 9-1-1 and EMT's were quickly on the scene (they came in a firetruck which was clearly the highlight for Cade and his friend, Tess - they even got stickers) and ended up cancelling the ambulance, as I opted to take Callum to the nearest Providence emergency room. Kevin met me there just as we were called back to be examined. It was determined that Callum needed a CT scan (which came back completely normal - thank the Lord)! All in all, it was a LOOOONG evening at the emergency room, but worth every second to find out Callum was okay, of course! Fortunately, Cade was oblivious, happily enjoying a now-extended playdate with our friends. The highlight for him was probably his first (and long) ride around in a wheelchair we borrowed from outside someones room. Then he "pushed" Kevin around too and I wished I had my camera. He also spent quite a bit of time playing in the sink with a trickle of water - not a very "green" activity, but near the end, we were a little desparate for activities to keep Callum from being too rambunctious! We are just so thankful he's alright.
Poor guy had a rough night though - we got up a few times to readminister Tylenol, only to find he'd gone back to sleep before we reached him. And then I'd lay awake thinking about everything and praying and stretching my ears to hear the slightest muffle from my baby boy that may indicate pain or a bad dream. This morning he still looks a little pillaged, but as you can see, his smiles and energy are intact. I'm so thankful! I took the pics this morning during breakfast.


For Cade, the day was truly amazing because in the morning we'd seen a group of Policemen at Starbucks (Sweet boy, he turned towards them, pointed, and said in a loud voice, "Mom! Look at that!" It got their attention and they all turned and smiled & waved at him) and to end the day with a firetruck and a group of firemen giving him stickers.

5 comments:

Sarri said...

Poor baby!! I'm so glad he is ok!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I'm so glad to hear that Callum is alright and through it all, Cade had a rather fun evening with the firemen. Lindsie

the schilps said...

oh annie,
thank you jesus! what a sweet boy callum is, offering you smiles this morning. well done, quick thinking mommy. i just want to come over right now and give you all hugs and callum kisses.

Steph said...

Oh, Praise the Lord he's okay! Henry fell down our stairs recently and I know what a heartwrenching experience it can be. :( You are such a great mama...I bet you handled everything so well.

Jessica Jordan said...

So scary! Praise God for His protection.