Well, it is official - Fall has arrived! This morning Cade and I went to Lee's Farm with his preschool class to visit the pumpkin patch. It was a great field trip - lots of fun (& it only sprinkled on us briefly so that was nice). I'm just so happy Fall is here! I love all the leaves changing color and I don't mind the weather getting cooler and (agreeing with Hannah) I love hearing the rain outside my window at night. Not to mention that visiting pumpkin patches, mulled cider, scarves, and pumpkin spice lattes once again become options. Those things and more make the lack of sun for days on end, more bearable. I'm a sweater-weather girl through and through. Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily mean "snow cold" weather and I truly appreciate the summer, the sunshine, and the beach (or park or yard or anywhere really) on those "perfect" Oregon summer days. You know the ones, 70s/low 80s with a light breeze and ending with a beautiful sunset. I also love the hard downpours and look forward to them after several days of sun. Partly because of the way it smells here after a good rain and partly because the rain is comforting to me. I wouldn't trade it for year-round Autumn or anything - obviously something would be lost, but I love being able to get cozy, sip hot tea or espresso, enjoy the occasional fire in the fireplace, and anticipate the upcoming holidays!
Last night while Kevin watched the creepy-cleverness that is Heroes I actually found myself checking to see what new Christmas music is coming out. I know this will not surprise many of my family members/close friends (Jen) or anyone who has witnessed me trying to remain faithful to the current season while having access to Christmas music, decorations, etc. So what if I've already been slowly walking down the Christmas aisles at Costco - I can't help myself. More 'all things Christmas' later in the season though, when I can speak freely without making anyone anxious thinking they haven't even made it through Halloween or Thanksgiving yet. ;) (That was a wink for Jen).
So back to the field trip. Cade had so much fun, his teachers are wonderful, and it was good to put some kid's names I hear to faces. Here are some photos (probably too many - I don't know, is more than 15 too many? Guess it depends on the audience)...
Cade and Gabrielle. You can click on the picture to make it bigger, Gabrielle has such a sweet little face.
Payton and Cade carefully selecting just the right pumpkin to take home.
Cade with the pumpkin he picked.
Everyone learning a little about different types of pumpkins from Cowboy Craig.
We saw horses, pigs, goats, ducks, a donkey, calves, and chickens.
Baby chicks! The farmer told us UPS had brought the 25 chicks in a small box (he showed us) a few days ago. (Hmmm, 25 chicks shipped in a tiny crate...sort of sad when you think about it, but I quess that's how they role out on the farm. At least they kept warm I guess).
We got to watch an old-fashioned cider press in action. At the end this lady offered the class a taste only to be informed by Mrs. Stuart that they can't serve unpasturized anything to the kids. (Kind of a bummer for the kids, but I bought some in the store to bring home and it is SO good).
Cade said this goose-shaped gourd was his favorite of all the pumpkins and gourds we saw.
After picking their pumpkins, the class made their way over to the huge wagon for the hayride. There's Cade running to catch up with Payton.
These two were so cute sticking together throughout the farm. Payton's mom, Amy (who is having her second little girl on October 26th and still made it on the field trip so that made it that much more fun) is such a sweet/fun girl. We met before we were mamas at church and Payton and Cade (only three months apart) were in the same baby play group as infants. Here are a couple cute pictures of them from three years ago - October 2004. It's so fun that they are in the same preschool class now.
Don't look too closely, this ones blurry, but I loved Payton's expression so I wanted to include it anyway.In Cade's words:
"Today we are going to the punkin patch. I really hope Payton is going to be there because she loves me very much."
"Payton is my best friend and Gabrielle is my best friend. I love them. Three friends that love eachother are best friends. We share love...and sometimes we march."
The beloved teacher, Mrs. Stuart.More from Cade:
"My favorite thing was seeing the apple cider press and when I ate those really yummy yogurt stuff and ate crackers and drank all that juice (read: snack time). And my really favorite part was seeing Cowboy Craig and he tell'd us about pumpkins and baby chicks...and seeing the baby chicks. The bale hay (hay-bale) slide was super fun." (The kids got to go through a short hay maze which ended with slide out).
"That was my best field trip ever."





2 comments:
It LOOKS like the best field trip ever! Glad you guys had fun...and missed the rain!
:(
I can't see the pictures again.
Post a Comment