13 August 2007

101 & no fun (warning - no pics)

*Heather, here's a journal entry for you...nothing too exciting, but enjoy! A glimpse of my weekend... :)

Poor Cade and Callum came down with a yucky flu bug Saturday night. They had 101-103 degree fevers and Callum ended up with his first diaper rash (a bad one too). Kevin had visual tech duty at church (fortunately there was only one service since we've been meeting at LHS during the remodel) so I was on sick-kid duty @ home. We even had to miss a barbeque/baby shower with some of our favorites Sunday afternoon. :( Cade was feeling a little better after lunch (tylenol-induced, but still) so he and I went a played at the park for some fresh air. Callum is super-clingy when he's sick and constantly needs to be held and attended too, so it was a nice break for me too. By last night I was wiped - took a hot shower at about 8:45 and fell into bed at 9, not even caring that Kevin's guitar case blocked me from stretching out my legs. By the time I was down, I wasn't getting up. I managed to read for a little while, but kept dosing off until I gave up.

Before the illness hit, the weekend had been great so far. Friday night Kevin and I watched Maxed Out - basically a documentary about the credit situation in our country. Appalling really (watch it to find out what is the most appalling thing of all). I highly recommend it - COME ON - I don't ask much - be informed people, you'll thank me. Credit cards are the devil. Just don't buy what you can't pay for. Dave Ramsey had a stint on it which is why it caught my attention at Hollywood that evening. River West (our church) offers Financial Peace University (we haven't attended but several of our friends have loved it).

Saturday morning I got to go (kid-free) pick blueberries for over an hour. I love being on the farm...any farm really. Must be something from my childhood. It was relaxing to just think and pick, and eavesdrop a little (I didn't mean to, really). Then I got to make and take dinner to my sweet friend Michelle who is suffering (bravely) through severe morning sickness while still raising two kids. :) Her husband looked pretty tired as he treked thru the house, armed with windex. It was nice to just lay on her bed for a while and laugh with her (though laughing tends to bring back her nausea with a vengence, so I tried to keep the conversation mellow - sorry Michelle).

Saturday night turned out to be a great evening (until Cade awoke at midnight burning up that is) - I'd planned to have some girlfriends over to scrapbook, make cards, or whatever, but it turned out Lindsie was the only one who could really make it and she didn't have anything to scrapbook. When we talked, it came out that her husband Bryan was trying to get together some guys for a poker game (since she'd planned to come over anyway) & Kevin was up for that. So off he went (after getting Callum to bed - what a guy). :) And Lindz showed up at the same time for hours of girl talk. Sure she brought two movies and I had planned to work on my scrapbook while we watched one, but nothing happened except lots of jabber. Like I said - good times.

Which brings me to today and why I'm taking this time to journal...I'm home alone since Kevin and his brother are at the Crystal Ballroom for Toad the Wet Sprocket and Verve Pipe. Blast from the past! It was Casey's idea of a "last brother thing" before Abbe and Casey welcome their new baby (hopefully) next week sometime. Since it's been years since Kevin has listened to either of those bands, he dug out his cds and has spent the last week + brushing up.

Cade just came out of his room for the umpteenth time - this time it was nail clippers for his toe. And of course each time he won't sleep (if you can call it that) as well if we don't go through the bedtime routine of rocks, highfive, hugs, kisses, and his latest - he will say, "Good night, Sweets" and I MUST say, "Night-night, Sweets" ( - no not 'good night, Sweets,' those of you with 3 year olds know it MUST be word for word of course, if I change it up, I'm only asking to be corrected and made to follow the 'script' until I get it right). I can't blame him - apparently I was forever forcing my parents and siblings through rehearsals and plays of various sorts at his age. Earlier he was singing a made-up song that went, "I had a tummy ache so I put it in my head. Now my head is hurty and my tummy is too..." (It's better with the motions). Both boys are doing much better today. We even made it to Trader Joes. One of my other favorite 'Cade quotes' from this weekend was when dad came in with a pop (left over from poker night) and Cade looked at it and said, "Mom's not really into pop, is she Dad?" "No, Cade, she's not."

So, I'm off to finish the dishes and fold some laundry while I watch Fat Walk or whatever. Enjoy your evening, Friends!

1 comment:

heather said...

Wow, I love your post... I feel like you're really talking to me about your weekend instead of your typical quick rundown! Sorry your weekend was so up and down. Hope they boys are back to their old spunky selves!!
Keep the journaling coming!
(and the pics. I LOVE the first one below of Cade on the steps. Very cool!)

I'll call you soon!