27 March 2008

Soap Box Thursday :)

Okay, now this girl is speaking my language! Her article, Healthier Kids - Moving beyond pizza and hot dogs, is right on. If you have kids, please do not pretend a regular diet of fast food and processed (any food not really close to it's natural form - even if it's from Whole Foods) is in any way beneficial or un-harmful to your child's long term or even immediate health. If you don't know what's best to feed your child, start with this article and check out this book. I love this book & agree with most of it, except we don't use much soy. (Speaking of soy, this article is interesting...not sure what I think of it, but it's one perspective). Ooooh, and while we're talking about articles, please read this short study (see example 2, especially). It is kinda scary, but in a good way. (I'm not really sure what that means, either).

Two other books I've really liked recently are this one and this one. (Don't let the titles fool you though, they say a lot about health and long term wellness, I think the term "obesity" is just an easy way to attract the parents who need help asap with really unhealthy children/families. They are good for anyone wanting good nutritional information, not just folks with obesity issues). Seriously though, my heart breaks for children who deal with obesity and also those who are thin enough but eat lots of garbage packaged in pretty wrapping. (Of course I don't mean occasional treats/holidays, etc. My kids are not forbidden to eat any food, we just don't make it the usual & I try my best to provide the yummiest healthiest food/baked goods available).

It's like Jim Burns says, we are the most marketed to culture ever and it can be extremely hard to separate the facts from the ads. I believe as parents it is our job to do the best we can with the knowledge we are given, but in our society it is not enough to listen to the messages we are bombarded with through tv/online/etc. We need to seek out information from time to time that is not necessarily dollar-driven. Most of you know my mom passed away from cancer when I was in high school and my grandfather has kept prostate cancer at bay for 12+ years. Their different battles, experiences with nutritional treatments, etc. brought forth a huge LOVE of researching alternative/nutritionally-based wellness and helping people live well by God's grace. I am continually amazed at the new information out there and the research, both published and unpublished, concluding the massive benefits a whole foods diet will have on long term, disease-free health. I know many of you aren't as interested in all this as I am, but everyone knows someone dealing with sickness and I know God gave me this passion for a reason! With so many people sick and dying too soon from disease, etc. & the amount of compelling research out there I just have to share it from time to time. Thanks for putting up with a soap-boxy post, and please know I realize I have a lot to learn and am not trying to sound preachy. I just get excited about stuff like this & hopefully it will help point someone in a good direction. :) Oh, and please feel free talk with me or email me about anything having to do with this topic! I'd love it!

3 comments:

Angela said...

thanks Annie! I believe in what you are saying. God gave us many gifts for us to enjoy-whole foods being one of them. Angela
P.S. I'd love some healthy snack ideas if you have them.

the Zimels said...

Hi Annie -
I could feel my heart beating a little faster as I read your post today. Keep it coming, friend. It's an encouragement and blessing to me to hear those words being said. :) Amber-Rose

Jenny said...

Hi Annie--
I am one of Abbe Jo's friends from TX and I enjoy peeking in on your blog every once in a while:) After reading this post and seeing some of your links on your sidebar I thought you may like this blog if you haven't already seen it.
http://greenkiddos.blogspot.com

Enjoy!
Jenny